Sunday, January 11, 2015

Stash Buster: Crochet Rug

It is officially 2015 and that means it is a new year with new opportunities. I ended 2014 with many goals for the upcoming year, both personally and professionally. One of these goals I was able to put into place before the year ended, but the other goals I am actively working to implement as this new year starts, including moving to a new location. The decision to move to a location is a necessary change in the new year, but a decision that has many factors to consider. While I was initially looking at places that had an extra bedroom to turn into my craft room I have recently had to consider the possibility that my craft room will once again need to occupy only a portion of a room. This is not ideal. 

If you have read my previous posts then you may remember that my existing craft space is a portion of an existing room and that this is prone to unorganized chaos. I am working on a more organized craft environment, regardless of location, which means looking into storage options that optimize space while also fitting in with existing decor. I will post these options when I discover the best storage options for a small space. Another option in maintaining organization in a small space is having less craft supplies. I have thought about this dilemma for the last few weeks and cannot seem to just throw out my supplies. Of course there is the obvious option of giving the supplies to a friend or donating the supplies, but I haven't found anyone that really wants the supplies. My solution, as I work on finding a new location, is to make as many projects with my supplies as possible. My intent is to showcase these projects and provide my readers with quick, stash busting projects they make with their own excess craft supplies.

My first stash buster is a crochet rug made from 3 skeins of Red Heart Super Saver yarn in Grey Heather, Coffee, and Turqua. I was actually working on a woman's hat, that just wouldn't retain the right shape, and noticed the 3 colors of yarns lying next to each other. This inspired me to create a project using these skeins of yarns. Initially I thought about designing a baby blanket with these yarns, but then thought the colors would make a nice rug. A rug that has become necessary by the new year's project of replacing the carpet in my home. This was a fairly quick project and very easy to make. I used a size G crochet hook. Since I was planning on making a rug I didn't calculate exact measurements. I cast on the set amount of stitches that would make the rug the desired width and then single crocheted in each stitch with the Grey Heather. I then alternated between the Turqua and Coffee. I continued in this manner until the piece reached the desired size for the rug.
I liked the finished rug so much that I ended up starting another rug using the 3 colors that better fit my decor. The rugs are easy to make and would make an excellent housewarming gift. There is no end to the many color possibilities or yarn choices you could make that would use up your yarn stash. If you make these crochet rugs please share your pictures in the comments below. I would love to see your creativity. If you have any other stash busters you would like me try feel free to leave a comment below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment