Sunday, July 5, 2015

Gift Planning: Pick a Theme and Start Planning

Today is July 5th, which means we are just 5 days over the half-way mark of the year. For me, I think July is a good time to reflect and to refocus on what you want for the second half of the year. Do you want more time with family? Do you want more vacations? Do you want to be more creative and craft more? Whatever it is that you want to accomplish, you have to take time to refocus, and to begin to lay the foundation for the rest of the year. Summer is busy, life is busy, and time is fleeting. Plus we live with this concept of plenty of time until it is all gone and we are left with scraps, unable to fully enjoy the moment. July, and summer in general, for me is a time to reflect on the year, to think about the second half of the year's gifts/events, and to refocus on what I want to accomplish. Today, the primary focus is on the gifts and events that are on the horizon for the rest of the year.
I don't know if this is just me, but I really like to think of a theme when I am giving gifts. If you have read any of my Christmas preparation posts then you know that establishing a theme is what focuses me and allows me to make critical decisions about content. Choosing a theme isn't always easy when it comes to giving a gift, but I try to start with one item I know they need or that they want. For my cousin's baby shower I chose Goofy because I knew she has loved Goofy since she was a little girl. I then utilized Google to further refine the desired contents of my gift and decided upon a Goofy outfit, which I would crochet for her. I explored various options, but decided for the time constraints that I had I would combine store bought items, such as a onesie, and handmade items, such as the beanie, diaper cover, and booties. I then added to the outfit by including another handmade item, a Goofy hat for her, and a store bought item, a Goofy plushie for her baby. The gift itself was small, but it was well-thought out and took a lot of time so I don't want anyone to think that size should matter in determining a gift for someone. 

My cousin's baby shower is just one example of how I use a theme to help decide upon and execute a gift for someone, but I can't state enough how helpful it is to have a theme. As I spend today reflecting on the remaining events this year, I am thinking of themes and planning gifts, all of which include handmade aspects. The best part about a theme and advance planning is that I get to compile the gift as I go along and in this way the gift is well thought out. I am able to find things I wouldn't have been able to find last minute or I am able to find unique items from my adventures and travels that you just can't find near the gift recipient. In a previous post on  gifts I shared an idea for storing gifts, both gifts for last minute events and for the pieces of themed gifts. Using a photo storage box I am able to store most of the items I will use for gift giving. Right now my box is full of various items that can used for last minute gifts or incorporated in Christmas, such as various lotions, perfumes, and an assortment of notepads. I also have a Hello Kitty wallet and a 49ers scarf that are reserved for specific recipients. 

My most helpful tip for gift planning is picking a theme, but I know that it can be just as overwhelming to organize your thoughts after picking a theme so here are some additional tips. 
Gift Planning
  1. I created a table, shown right, that allows me to write down all of my ideas and needs when gift planning. The table is explained in tips 2-5, listed below. The table includes a generic row and then a specific row with a real example of a gift I am planning.
  2. Decide on a spending limit. It is important to decide on a spending limit or you will be tempted to buy more. Making a budget isn't fun, but it will save you regret later. 
  3. Decide if you want to make anything and then remember to factor in the supplies you need as part of your budget. It might not seem like you are spending that much, but the cost of supplies adds up quick.
  4. If you decide that you will be making a part of a person's gift then you need to realistically determine how much time you need to finish the gift. Remember to give yourself extra time because accidents happen and there are days when you just don't feel like working on it. 
  5. Brainstorm categories or types of items you want to include in your gift. If your theme is sports then you might write down sports gear or an athlete's autograph. This isn't a shopping list, but a way of helping you focus when you are looking at these types of items. 

No comments:

Post a Comment