Sunday, September 27, 2015

Welcome Fall with a Crochet Door Bumper


Disclaimer: This is only a pattern review. The original pattern is not mine and can be found here. Changes I made to the pattern are given in this post as well and these changes are mine.

Fall is here and the weather is beginning to change, although in my hometown the changes are harder to feel. As the weather begins to cool, the wind blows, and the doors in the house begin to bang when they are closed. Well maybe not if you live in a newer house, but if your house is older then you will understand and appreciate this post. My house was built in the 70's, but the doors still have a tendency to bang due to poor construction or a crooked foundation. There is one door in particular that can be heard with a loud bang every time it is shut. Despite how annoying this is, I actually didn't go in search of this pattern, but stumbled across this pattern while searching Pinterest for quick yarn stash busters. A pattern for a door bumper came up in the search and I had an idea: I could use up some of my yarn and solve a problem. I quickly grabbed my supplies and made the door bumper in 10 minutes.

As I mentioned I found this pattern on Pinterest as part of a collection of patterns posted, but the original pattern was written by Crochet Dynamite and can be found on her blog Crochet Dynamite!. In her post she speaks of living on an old farmhouse and the creaking of doors, which is the inspiration behind her pattern. She also included a revised pattern to make a different style door bumper, but I chose to use the simple pattern because I wanted a quick project.

Option Two: Button Closure
When I am trying a new pattern, I don't read over the entire pattern prior to starting so I don't know if there is a problem in the pattern until I have already started, which can potentially be problematic. However, this pattern was well written and easy to follow. I didn't find the need to make any adjustments until the very end and then I only made a single adjustment to the closure. The original pattern calls for a tie closure on one end, but even the creator said the piece has enough stretch that you don't need the tie closures. If you don't use the tie closures then you have two options. Option one is to sew the ends of the pieces together to create a loop for the door. Option two is to create a loop on one end and sew a button on the other, which is what I chose to do.


These finishing options are my own original ideas and are not a part of the original pattern. An alternative option, that I thought of as I was writing this, is to connect the loop as you construct the entire piece. The pattern for this is listed below:

Alternate Pattern 
Chain 36
Round 1: Single crochet in 2nd chain from hook, single crochet in each chain across, chain 1, turn.
Rounds 2-4: Single chain in each single chain across, chain 1, turn.
Round 5: 2 single crochet, chain 10, skip 10, 13 single crochet, chain 10, skip 10, 1 single crochet, chain 1, turn.
Round 6: Single chain across, 2 single crochet, chain 1, turn.
Rounds 7-9: Single chain in each single crochet across, chain 1, turn.
Round 10: Single crochet across, 3 single crochet, turn, continue to single crochet around entire piece with 3 single crochet in each corner, slip stitch to join, fasten off.
Weave in loose ends.


In the alternative pattern I used the stripe pattern Crochet Dynamite used. I made mine using the Oakland A's colors. As you can see there are so many possibilities in making these in your own favorite colors or to fit a theme. I think these would be great for a nursery and would make great baby gifts. If I made them for a nursery I would use the button closure option and then use a cute button that matched the nursery theme. What colors would you use?

No comments:

Post a Comment