Sunday, January 12, 2014

Resolutions for Creative People

 
10 Resolutions for Creative People
I stumbled across this video after I broke resolution #2, "Finish old projects before starting new projects." :-/ Oh well, there is always next year!

Bernat Softee Chunky Yarn
I don't know about you, but if you're like me you can't pass up a sale on materials, whether it is yarn, paper, or fabric. I went into Michael's today, intending only to buy white onesies for my current Valentine's projects, but ended up walking out with 8 balls of yarn too! I didn't need this yarn or necessarily have any plans for it at the moment I bought it, but each ball was on clearance for $1.99. That was a deal I couldn't pass up.
 
Of course, I immediately started working on a project (a baby blanket) as soon as I got home, forsaking all other projects. The yarn is chunky so the blanket is crocheting up quickly, but I recognize my need for resolution #2. For me, two things frequently prevent me from finishing old projects before starting new projects. When I become inspired I immediately start thinking about the inspiration and what I would do differently, and then I want to get the materials, assuming I don't already have the things I need, and get to work. Second, I often forget what projects I was working on after I have been working on a new project(s) for awhile. These are my setbacks as a designer, but I know there are many other reasons people don't maintain projects until they are completed.
 
Sketch of blanket included in project's binder
However, hopefully whatever these reasons are these solutions will work for everyone. The first solution I have for preventing forgetting current projects is to keep a current project inventory binder or notebook. I personally am organizing my project inventory into a binder because page protectors make excellent pockets for storing patterns, project description, sketches, pictures of inspiration, and a list of materials needed to complete the project. A contents list at the beginning of the binder serves as a quick list for me to see what I have and where to find it within the binder. Hopefully, your binder won't be as thick as mine and you won't have to rely on a contents list. As my binder begins to be completed, I will be sure to post pictures so you can clearly see how I organized my ongoing projects.
 
After your current projects are organized, I suggest you resolve not have more than a set number of projects at one time or not to start any more until half of your current projects are finished. I have always wanted to implement this solution, but never set a number for me to keep, which meant I had no accountability to myself. I am now setting my current project number to 7. Until I am caught up on past projects, this number will not include projects I have not worked on for more than a year. I am using another inventory binder for projects I would like to start in the future, but you could always add a section to your project's binder for future projects. Again, I suggest organizing each project with sketches, pictures, patterns, and a list of supplies needed to complete. Organizing all of these things into a single spot makes it easier for you to start your next project and to identify what you need before you start.
Inspired sketch for future project
Taking the time to sketch out your ideas and then planning the completion of a new project satisfies your need to see it completed without actually starting a new project. I implemented this technique when I was working on the baby blanket shown above and was inspired to create another baby blanket using a similar pattern and yarn. Inspired, I immediately stopped working and pulled out my sketch book, and then began to sketch out my design. After I finished sketching I wrote down on a post it note the supplies I thought I would need. This supplies list will become more professional looking when I finish the current blanket and see if my estimate was correct.
 
Taking the time to organize your projects into a binder or notebook, that can then be stored in a prominent location in your workspace, keeps all of your projects at the front of your mind and everything you need easily accessed when you decide to start a project again. But how do you store the actual projects and the supplies necessary for completion?
Ziploc Storage Bags
My projects are temporarily being stored in bins and boxes as I begin to clear out and organize the dresser these projects will be stored in, along with yarn and fabric. In the dresser, I will ultimately store the projects in a Ziploc gallon storage bag, depending upon the size, along with everything I need to complete the project. I suggest labeling each bag, maybe even including the date started as another way of preventing you from keeping a project for too long, and then storing them away. This is a great solution for storing your current projects, but as I mentioned earlier there are some projects that you haven't touched in over a year. There are many reasons you haven't worked on a project for an extended period of time and that reason will determine how you deal with storing those projects.
 
Some projects are left unfinished because you ran out of supplies, but never bothered to get the supplies needed or maybe those supplies were too expensive. For these projects, you need to determine if you want to spend the money to obtain the necessary supplies and complete the project. If you decided to get the supplies then the new supplies and the project itself should be stored with your other current projects. I suggest setting a deadline for yourself to finish the project, otherwise you may end up with it sitting for another year again. If you do not want to buy the necessary supplies, whether the materials are too exensive or you no longer want to complete the project, I suggest taking the project apart, dismantling each material, and then adding the usable materials to your current unused supplies.
 
Other projects are left untouched because you ran out of supplies and then the supplies were discontinued by the manufacturer. This reason is a good example of why you buy all of the supplies you need to complete a project in the first place, but I understand this is not always possible and I have found myself in this same situation before. There are really only two options available to you at this point. You could search for the discontinued materials online and might get lucky or, unfortunately, you have to dismantle the project and find a new use for those discontinued materials.
 
As I said earlier, I have been there, and I currently have left that project unfinished. At the time I bought the yarn, I didn't have any project in mind, and when I did, the yarn was discontinued. I did look online and even in stores for the discontinued yarn, but was unsuccessful in finding the yarn I needed. However, I did have enough yarn to reconstruct the exsisting blanket into a lapghan, but never had the heart to unwind all of my hard work. While I wouldn't encourage anyone to just leave their project in this state, it may actually have worked in my favor because the company ended up introducing a similar yarn. I haven't brought my project, or a small sample of my yarn, into a craft store to confirm the match, but the appearance is similar. If the yarn is a match, then I fortunately have a third option available to me. However, this is very rare.
 
Finally, at least as far as my experience goes, there are projects that you have left unfinished, not because you don't want to finish them, but because you have simply forgotten about them. These projects are the main reason behind the current project binder inventory. If you have these projects, and still want them finished, then I suggest you add them to your inventory binder or notebook, along with a date for when you want this project finished. Again, the date is not a deadline so much as a means of keeping you accountable to yourself, and preventing a pile of unfinished projects.
 
In an upcoming post I will be showing pictures of my binder inventory system, hopefully my project storage, and how I organize my craft bag. For pictures of my completed projects be sure to check out my Facebook page BooBear Designs. In the next few weeks fans of my Facebook page will be eligible to win a free pattern.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment