Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Yarn Storage

"Don't wait for tomorrow what you can do today." Unfortunately, sometimes what you want or could do today often gets put off until tomorrow. This is exactly what happened with the current pattern inventory binder post I am writing. I started writing, with every intent of posting, and then I became busy with the work week. I wish I had the luxury of only working on craft projects and that I was able to support myself on those projects alone, but I am not yet able to do that and so I work. I actually enjoy my work quite a bit, except of course when I am too exhausted to work on my passion, crafting. Anyways, the binder post is coming, but it might take more time than I originally anticipated. However, I am typing it up as a tutorial so my readers can get more use of the post itself. 

I am working on a few other tutorials as well, including patterns for quick baby play mat blankets and basic crochet hats. As I work on these tutorials though I am caught by the massive amount of yarn and other crafting supplies I have, which of course makes me think about the maximum way to store all of my supplies. I am especially fascinated by yarn storage because I am boxes and boxes of yarn whether it is yarn I bought or yarn that was given to me. As I mentioned earlier, I am cleaning out a dresser to turn it into yarn and fabric storage, but this wouldn't be my first choice, largely because I like to be able to see my yarn.

I am addicted to storage and organization solutions, that are both functional and creative, and so I frequently search for craft storage ideas online. I usually use key phrases like "DIY Craft Storage Solutions", "Craft Room Storage Ideas", or "Yarn [specific supply] storage ideas" in a Google image search. Through these I have found some wonderful, creative, and functional storage solutions for my craft space or future craft room. I recommend saving any ideas you like to a folder on your computer for inspiration. You might not be able to implement them right now, but you might be able to at a future time. Through these searches I have saved hundreds of images. Most of these images are similar, but I save them because when I decide to implement these storage solutions I can then implement specific thing I like from each idea. 

Anyways, yarn storage is a particular favorite of mine because I like my yarn displayed, but most of the yarn storage is too small for my needs. However, through these searches I found a few unique storage solutions I just adore. The first is taking a shoe organizer and putting it in a bookcase or stacking it atop of Closetmaid organizers. Once your organizer is in place begin filling the cubbies with all of your balls of yarn. This is great if you have a small to medium amount of yarn. I think the biggest shoe cubbies I have seen hold 36 shoes. If you have seen a larger shoe cubby leave a comment below telling me how many shoes (or balls of yarn) it can hold and a link if you have it. :)

Another idea I love is using a peg board and nails. There was a picture of a lady in front of a wall, lined entirely with peg board. She then spaced nails evenly across the entire wall and inserted each nail in the middle of a ball of yarn. Now if your yarn is multi-fiber you might have to use something else in place of a nail to prevent fraying or snagging of your yarn. This idea is great for any size yarn collection because you can always add more peg board. However, you are limited by the wall space available and your budget because peg board can be expensive. If I were going to use this method I would look for refurbished or used peg board at thrift stores and Habitat for Humanity stores. Another option, if you don't mind poking holes in your walls, is to just put the nails directly in the wall.

If you or someone you know is good with their hands then you can always build your own custom yarn storage. I love this diamond patterned wall cubby to hang above your work desk. While I have not attempted to make this yarn storage, I think the storage would be fairly simple to make, but again, I haven't tried to make this myself. If I do make this storage I will be sure to offer a tutorial for my readers. This storage provides design and function, which in my opinion can't be beat.

The final yarn storage pictured I just stumbled upon today and am captioning it Budget DIY Yarn Storage. While I don't know how much this person spent making this particular yarn storage, I think it could easily be remade on a budget. From the picture it looks like the person made the storage out of milk crates. Depending on where you live, who you know, etc. these milk crates could be free or obtained for very cheap, but if you are unable to get them for free I believe the Dollar Store carries them too. If my calculations are correct, to make this storage would take 28 milk crates. The crates could easily be hung on the walls using nails. As you can see from the picture, this yarn storage would probably hold the most amount of yarn.

There are so many wonderful ideas for yarn storage. I encourage all of my readers to Google yarn storage. Please comment below with your own yarn storage ideas and if you want me to do a yarn storage tutorial on either the diamond wall cubby or the milk crate storage. And hopefully, the next post will be the tutorial for the current pattern inventory binder.

No comments:

Post a Comment