Friday, March 7, 2014

Charity of the Month: March of Dimes

This month's charity is March of Dimes, a wonderful organization that raises awareness about premature babies through annual walks. While I have always been fond of March of Dimes I never had any personal ties to premature infants until this last month when my friend's baby was born early.  Her baby is doing much better, but I know the outcome may have been different if it hadn't been for the research funded by March of Dimes. I have identified two ways in which people can help premature babies: 1) Crochet, knit, or sew hats for premature babies or 2) Donate or walk for March of Dimes. 

Knit Preemie Hat
My favorite way to help premature babies and their families, or anyone for that matter, is through crafting. While I have many hat patterns for newborns and infants I currently do not have any of my own patterns for premature babies. However, I have found my favorite knit and sewn hat patterns on other blogs and posted the links here. The knit hat shown on the left is from Knitting Up A Storm's blog. I love how easily the hat could be customized with a person's favorite sporting teams.
Sewn Preemie Hat
The sewn hat shown on the right is from Extraordinary Ordinary Life. The tutorial has a lot of pictures and is really easy to follow.

The finished hats can be donated to your local hospital, but read your hospital's donation policy for making hats to donate. Some hospitals require you make a specific pattern. More knit and crochet preemie hat patterns can be found at LionBrand and RedHeart's websites. If you have never checked out these yarn companies' websites I recommend checking them out now because both companies offer tons of free patterns.

If you can't crochet, knit, or sew well enough to make these hats then you can always join a team and walk for March of Dimes. Every year this is my sister's preferred choice of donation. Her and her friends fund raise and walk to raise awareness and money for March of Dimes. This is a great way to give back and a really fun experience with your teammates. There are many ways to use your crafting skills at the walk, including team t-shirts or costumes if you like. This year I am contemplating making team shirts for my sister's team. Comment below if you would like to see a tutorial for a team shirt.

This month you can crochet, knit, sew, or walk for premature babies. Your time and dedication can greatly benefit the lives of these babies and their families. If you don't have the time to make your own hats or to participate in a walk you can always donate to March of Dimes directly.

Is there a charity you want to see featured? Comment below and let me know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment