Monday, March 24, 2014

Home Organization and Design: Seasonal Decor

Opening Day for the Oakland Athletics is right around the corner, March 31st, and I am so excited to write this month's home organization post on my new A's room decor. If you haven't notices I am a huge sport's fan and each season I try to incorporate my favorite teams into my home decor. One day I will have my own Sports Cave and won't have to incorporate my sports memorabilia into my living space.

The first project is a Stomper pillow pet. For those who don't know Stomper is the A's mascot and an elephant, which makes him easily the best mascot in the MLB. I originally made the elephant pillow pet pattern for my niece, but then altered the pattern to fit my needs, Stomper pillow pet. I love how the pillow pet turned out and know my family will be asking me to make many more Stomper pillow pets in the future. 

The second project is "jersey" pillows, well pillow covers that look like jerseys. While I have many A's jerseys I don't have any that I'm willing to cut up to make into pillow covers. Of course there is always eBay and thrift stores, but I haven't had the time to search for jerseys. Besides I like the idea of make my own "jerseys" to use because then I can personalize each cover using my favorite players or using my own last name with my favorite number. I found fabric that most closely resembled jersey material and then ironed on letter and number appliques. I considered painting on the "jersey", but I thought the appliques looked more like a jersey. I might make a painted pillow in the future to compare the two techniques.
Baseball Field Cork Board

The final project I made was a baseball field cork board for organizing. The green felt pieces I used to make the field are adhered to the cork board using a temporary adhesive so I can redecorate the cork board at a different time. As you can see the design is simple, but the outcome is really cute. This cork board design is a really great gift for the sports lovers in your life, especially for keeping little ones organized. Be sure to comment below if you want me to post a tutorial for this cork board design.

I am really happy with how these projects turned out and am excited to share more baseball DIYs in the future. If there are any projects you want to see, baseball or otherwise, be sure to leave a comment below. I love hearing from my readers and am always up for trying new projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment